Feeling self-conscious about your height is a common experience, particularly if you have passed the growing years. Typically, height stops increasing at the age of 18 for women and 24 for men, as the production of hormones slows down. This makes it difficult for both genders to grow taller. However, if you are curious about whether it is feasible to increase your height after turning 21, the following article will provide you with a detailed answer.
Is it possible to increase height at 21 years old?
Most adults are unable to grow taller after the age of 21 if their growth plates close, although a few people may still be able to grow even into their early 20s.
Here are 5 factors that can determine how tall you are:
- Genetics: Usually, your DNA is the major factor that determines your height. Studies on fraternal twins have revealed that you’re likely to be tall if their parents are tall . Typically, genetics account for 60% – 80% of the height, while other factors like diet and lifestyle account for 20% – 40%. Unfortunately, there is not much you can do to change your genes.
- Nutrition: According to research, children and adolescents who are undernourished may not grow to their expected heights. Today’s population is taller than it was 1,000 years ago due to more nutritional awareness and expertise . If your growth plates haven’t closed, you can still boost your height by using several dietary or HGH supplements on the current market.
- Sex: Men are often taller than women. This is because the ends of developing bones fuse earlier in girls as they tend to reach puberty earlier. In addition, boys’ hormonal variations, such as higher testosterone levels, also encourage their bones to grow longer and thicker.
- Exercise: Exercising can promote the release of growth hormones that increase height and improve muscle development. However, working out can only increase height if you practice the right exercises regularly.
- Medications: Children who take stimulant medications for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) frequently miss their growth spurts and grow up a little bit shorter than their classmates .
What is the average height at age 21?
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
- The average height of an American man at 21 years old is 69.1 inches (175.4 cm), or 5 feet 9 inches tall.
- The average height of an American woman at 21 is 63.5 inches (161.5 cm), or 5 feet 3.5 inches tall.
Ways to increase height after the age of 21
Exercise is one of the top options if you’re wondering how to gain height after turning 21. Exercise is crucial for growing to a healthy height because it helps to stretch and exercise your entire body. With intense exercises, you can also increase your height by one inch and correct your body’s overall posture. For example, you can try these exercises:
- Sprinting: The increase in growth hormone released from this workout is enormous. During this activity, muscles are lengthened, making your legs longer.
- Jumping: You can start this activity by jumping for ten counts with one foot and continuing with the other. You should repeat this activity three times. Between sets, it is necessary to take a break.
- Cycling: When cycling, make sure that only your toes can touch the pedals. Your legs will have to extend to reach the pedals, thus helping you gain a greater height.
Have a healthy Diet
A perfectly balanced diet is essential for your overall growth and health. In order for your body to assimilate enough nutrients into your system, your diet must be full of calcium, vitamin D, phosphorus, iodine, and magnesium. Here are several foods that can increase your height:
- Beans: High in protein and iron, beans can protect against anemia and promote proper growth.
- Almonds: High in vitamin E, almonds can inhibit the formation of osteoclasts, a type of cell that breaks down bone tissue.
- Leafy greens: High in vitamin K, which supports bone health and preserve bone mass.
- Milk: Contains a good amount of protein in each serving, along with several micronutrients that can support bone health to increase or maintain growth.
- Berries: High in vitamin C, which promotes cell growth, supports tissue repair, and increases collagen production.
Your body’s ability to grow depends on whether you get enough sleep or not. During deep sleep, the growth hormone lengthens and hardens your bones. Additionally, your sleeping posture can also impact your height. After the age of 21, you should get at least eight hours of sleep every night, along with a nutritious diet and frequent exercise.
Yoga helps you maintain a good posture, which makes you look taller and promotes your overall body growth. Different yoga postures promote growth hormones while also softening your physique.
This may surprise you but pituitary gland meditation can help you gain height even after the age of 21, which is about 2-4 inches.
After the age of 21, if your growth plates are still open, height-boosting supplements can help you gain height. This is because most nutritional supplements include a variety of nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, fish oils, herbal teas, etc.
Here are some of the top height-increasing supplements: NuBest Tall, Height Growth Maximizer, Grow Power, SmartyPants, Doctor Plus, etc.
Although your height is very much fixed after the age of 21, there are still many activities you can try to improve your overall posture. However, what truly important is you should lead a healthy lifestyle rather than worry too much about whether you’ve reached the average height or not. After all, only by loving yourself and accepting who you are that you can feel fully confident.
Reviewed by Erika Gina
Hi there! My name is Erika Gina, and I am the author of Choose Supplement, a website dedicated to helping people achieve their height goals naturally and effectively. With over 10 years of experience as a height increase expert, I have helped countless individuals increase their height through diet, exercise, and lifestyle changes.
My passion for this field stems from my own struggles with being short, and I am committed to sharing my knowledge and experience to help others overcome similar challenges. On my website, you will find a wealth of information and resources, including tips, exercises, and product reviews, all designed to help you grow taller and improve your confidence and overall well-being. I am excited to be a part of your height journey and look forward to supporting you every step of the way.
Name: Erika Gina
Address: 2949 Virtual Way, Vancouver, BC V5M 4X3, Canada